Today, kids need help and encouragement to stay in shape and live a healthy lifestyle. Roller skating provides a great way to exercise and kids get to do what they like to do more than anything in the world - hang out with friends and listen to music. Kids may not realize that while they are socializing with their friends on skates, the activity itself is better than running the same distance.
- Studies have shown that roller skating provides a complete aerobic workout and involves all of the body's muscles, especially the heart.
- Roller skating is equivalent to jogging in terms of health benefits and caloric consumption, reduction of body fat, and leg strength development.
- Roller skating is recognized and recommended by the American Heart Association (AHA) as an aerobic fitness sport.
- Just one hour of moderate roller skating burns 330 calories for a 143-pound person. If that same person roller skates vigorously up to 10 mph, he or she will burn up to 600 calories in an hour.
- According to a study conducted at the University of Massachusetts, in-line skating causes less than 50 percent of the impact shock to joints compared to running.
- According to Dr. Carl Foster, associate professor of medicine at the University of Wisconsin Medical School, in-line skating as a form of exercise is as beneficial as running or cycling.